Customer Service 866.965.0400

Done with glass towels

hemi1300

Question

Have had no luck with the new towels not streaking, and while the old glass towels do a good job cleaning, I hate it how they drag so much and can hardly hold on to the towel. Worst part is the inside windshield of my new ram, both towels feel like i'm rubbing sandpaper and I can hardly hold on to the towel. Tried claying half the inside windshield but made no difference. Think I'm gonna start using single soft for this purpose, wipes the glass clean effortlessly with no drag

Will have to try the waterless towels I guess. Inside windshield is by far the worst, I can hardly even move the towel when I go to wipe the glass and it just want to roll, if that makes sense. Single soft seemed to work well and glide smoothly across the glass, but will give the ww towel a shot

That is strange. Sounds like a sticky windshield, but if that were the case I would suspect the single softs would lint like crazy. That is unfortunate you are having a bad experience with the new (and old) towels.

I hated the old ones, but love the new ones. It is a different experience for everyone  :cheers:

That is strange. Sounds like a sticky windshield, but if that were the case I would suspect the single softs would lint like crazy. That is unfortunate you are having a bad experience with the new (and old) towels.

I hated the old ones, but love the new ones. It is a different experience for everyone :cheers:

Very strange indeed, using the old or new glass towels inside the windshield and it literally feels/sounds like i'm rubbing sandpaper. Single soft or borderless gray towel slides smoothly across the glass though

Guys I hope my chiming in here helps. I honestly think the cleaner itself might be part of the issue. I have the old GC and new as well. It seems to me like the old GC was very slick whereas the new cleaner somehow induces a bit of drag. I will do a side by side tomorrow and see if the actual differences lie more with the chemical . I jumped on the new GC as soon as it came out and at first I really thought it was better. But after having more experience with it I am not so sure. I did my windshield later in the afternoon yesterday and it looked good but this AM there were very noticeable streaks when the sun was directly in front of me. It was done with the new towel and new GC. I don't think it ever looked like that with the old GC.

Edited by Junior

Sort of wondering what if I need to adjust my technique some. Saw a video where they were using two towels. Sprayed down the windshield with the cleaner and had a damp cloth to clean and a dry cloth to buff out. Anybody else try that? I think I will try that tomorrow as well and report back.

I have had problems with streaking on my windows before the new glass towels. I had Adam's glass cleaner and the blue towels. I got 2 of the new towels when they first came out, and I still had issues. So I decided to go back to the "invisible" glass cleaner product I use to use. I tried it with the green towels and I am much happier, no streaks or cleaning my windows every couple of days.

I tried the new glass cleaner too. Not a fan. Worst cleaner I have ever used. I do suck at cleaning glass but this stuff is not good. I was hesitant to post but I see I'm not alone. All the other 15 or so Adams products I've tried since May work great. Back to alcohol and water.

Edited by tbarn

IPA should not be used on interior windows that are tinted, as it can damage the film.  Same goes for any products that contain ammonia (ie Windex).  IPA can also damage interior plastics or vinyl should there be any overspray or drips.

Using IPA at 40-50% strength on exterior windows will degrade or strip sealants pretty quickly.

Adam's GC is alcohol and ammonia free, so it can be used safely on tinted windows.

When I do my glass with either the green or blue glass towels I always spray a little on the towel on the side that my hand touches, it makes it so my hand does not slide off of the towel while wiping the windshield.

Edited by BluedogGMC

I have had problems with streaking on my windows before the new glass towels. I had Adam's glass cleaner and the blue towels. I got 2 of the new towels when they first came out, and I still had issues. So I decided to go back to the "invisible" glass cleaner product I use to use. I tried it with the green towels and I am much happier, no streaks or cleaning my windows every couple of days.

Think I will be going back to this cleaner also, used it all the time before getting into adams products and never saw streaks even using cheap Walmart microfiber tows

I do now think it is the glass cleaner giving me problems. After u guys mentioned this, tried some different towels with glass cleaner and kept seeing streaks. One quick shot of detail spray on the window and wiped perfectly streak free clean, even with the new glass towels I was about to toss

Here's what I've found (and this is only what I do, not saying everyone should) works for me.  I've found over time that products build up on glass.  Over spray from Detail Spray, etc,  even interior products.  Plus that crappy film we all get inside that's hard to get rid of.  A while back my wife , who is my glass girl, got fed up with the towels, with the products, and with the streakiing.  She got a paper towel that was a little more than damp and added some Dawn dish soap to it. She cleaned the inside and outside with it and THEN she used the cleaner and sealant with the new towels and she got nearly perfect results.  She hated the old glass cloths, but the new ones (once we figured out to wash them first) she likes.  

So the point of my story is to try using a detergent like Dawn first to really get the "gunk" off the glass.  I think build up is what makes the towels stick and roll.  My opinion only. 

Ya know I never thought of any other glass prep having things to do with it, but I have never had problems, and RIch you just made me realize that prob every other month or in bug season more regularly I tend to soak the windshield with glass cleaner and then use some #0000 steel wool to take off the road grime that I accumulate. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. 

I just went out today and cleaned the inside of the rear window of my truck, which shamefully has been way to long between cleanings, and DID get the old towels to grab quite a bit. I purposley left one part of the window not done so that I can go wash a new towel and try it out. That said, If I applied a bit more spray and used two quarters of towel (One to move the solution around and another to buff it dry) it worked better. 

The moral for me is def to keep up on all my glass. 

For all those that dont like your old towels I would be happy to take them off your hands! Dont throw them away recycle them to me!