Customer Service 866.965.0400

Given Up on Glass Cleaning Towels

scottkalbfeld

Question

I have totally given up on the glass cleaning towels. No matter what I do these towels leave streaks. I have 3. I've tried buffing off with a dry glass towel. Everything. Does anyone have any advice on how/ which towels would be better. Thank you.

Edited by scottkalbfeld

I have not had any problems with the new glass towels. They seem to be working fine for me. The one thing I have always done was to let most of the cleaner start drying before I wipe the glass with the other side of the towel. If you start wiping with too much cleaner still on the glass that is when I find you get streaks.

Is it possible your window is still dirty? They can get quite filthy. What exactly is your process you are using?

Can you try the towel on the outside, after washing the window? Does it still streak (on the outside)? If no, then I suspect the interior is still dirty.

If yes, your towel might be dirty or contaminated. 

I've found what works for me is to clean the windows with the glass cleaner and the towels, then take a single soft or double soft towel and wipe the whole window down. If you have any spotting or streaking, it gets rid of them.  :D

Thanks for responding. I appreciate all the input.

Glass can be tough, I always use at least two Glass Towels.....I spray the GC on the glass then use the first towel wiping the glass over several times then I always follow up with the second  dry glass towel.  Tip......I always clay the exterior of my glass too.

Is it possible your window is still dirty? They can get quite filthy. What exactly is your process you are using?

Can you try the towel on the outside, after washing the window? Does it still streak (on the outside)? If no, then I suspect the interior is still dirty.

If yes, your towel might be dirty or contaminated. 

What I usually do is spray the glass cleaner on the windshield, then wipe with the glass towel. Then I flip it over and wipe with the shorter napped side. Than I take a clean dry glass towel and buff everything off. It looks ok but when I get in the car later and start driving I notice it. The glass was clayed about 2 months ago as well as sealed with the glass sealant. I've had the towels for a month or 2 so both have been washed a few times.

I have totally given up on the glass cleaning towels. No matter what I do these towels leave streaks. I have 3. I've tried buffing off with a dry glass towel. Everything. Does anyone have any advice on how/ which towels would be better. Thank you.

Scott, may I ask how do you clean your window towels, detergent wise, any fabric softener?

When I have problematic windows I usually use one window towel and one diaper, I also spray the window towel directly and not the window, I also like to not use a lot of product. After I clean all my windows then I follow up with my diaper and buff of any residue that is left behind and poof you will have crystal clear windows and you can thank me later!

Try cleaning the window with regular paper towels. One set wet, then wipe with a dry paper towel. Then after you get all the residue off go back over with a dry MF towel to get the lint and any streaks. This is how I clean my house windows because I don't have enough MF towels to do the whole house.

I typically use one glass towel and follow up with a 365 GSM microfiber towel. It removes any remaining residue. Give that a try and see what results you have. I have been doing this for quite some time for the windshield and glass anywhere else on the vehicle, after always using a 365 GSM microfiber towel the glass is completely streakless. Also, wanted to make mention a dirty glass towel will leave streaks for sure. Make sure is it washed and don't use fabric softener. Never dry towels at a high heat either make sure heat is medium (at highest), low or you can let them air dry.

Edited by SJC96GT

I thought I had the same problem with the towels. I tried everything, that has been suggested before. What fixed it for me was to switch to a different brand of glass cleaner. I don't have streaks on any of my windows now.

To Adam's, I'm sorry but your glass cleaner doesn't work for me.

First off I want to thank everyone for the responses. Happy to see there are many people willing to help.

Have you tried claying the inside of the glass with clay and the glass cleaner? Iso wipe down?

The inside is pretty clean and I never really clean it. There are no streaks or anything on the inside. Ususally just dust which i wipe off.

Scott, may I ask how do you clean your window towels, detergent wise, any fabric softener?

When I have problematic windows I usually use one window towel and one diaper, I also spray the window towel directly and not the window, I also like to not use a lot of product. After I clean all my windows then I follow up with my diaper and buff of any residue that is left behind and poof you will have crystal clear windows and you can thank me later!

I clean my glass towels just like all the other ones. Use adams MF soap. I even tried washing them alone with no other towels. I usually do 1 spray on the window.

I typically use one glass towel and follow up with a 365 GSM microfiber towel. It removes any remaining residue. Give that a try and see what results you have. I have been doing this for quite some time for the windshield and glass anywhere else on the vehicle, after always using a 365 GSM microfiber towel the glass is completely streakless. Also, wanted to make mention a dirty glass towel will leave streaks for sure. Make sure is it washed and don't use fabric softener. Never dry towels at a high heat either make sure heat is medium (at highest), low or you can let them air dry.

I thought about using another towel. When I only had 1 glass towel I thought the reason it was streaking was because I didn't have a 2nd to buff off. So I bought a 2nd for this exact purpose instead of a different type of towel. After all that is the purpose of a glass towel is to clean glass. But if I have to use a different towel on top of the glass towel what is even the purpose of the glass towel. I will try using another. I have plenty to choose from. 

I can promise you that the interior glass isn't as clean as you think. The interior gases and it causes a film like to show up on the interior. Dylan did video on perfect glass a while back. Try the methods I mentioned and you'll be surprised. Sometimes you have to start all over. Claying and or ipa wipe down will definitely help.

I thought about using another towel. When I only had 1 glass towel I thought the reason it was streaking was because I didn't have a 2nd to buff off. So I bought a 2nd for this exact purpose instead of a different type of towel. After all that is the purpose of a glass towel is to clean glass. But if I have to use a different towel on top of the glass towel what is even the purpose of the glass towel. I will try using another. I have plenty to choose from. 

The reason glass towels are used to actually clean the glass is one; it has shorter pile then the 365 GSM towel that I use to clean up remaining glass cleaner and two; its used to "polish" the glass. The short pile allows you to put more cleaning "power" if you will into removing whatever may be on the glass surface. 

Also, next time you clean your glass on the exterior of the vehicle. Clean the glass first (clean up remaining glass residue with heavier GSM towel), then clay it (spray the glass again with glass cleaner and then clay the glass, dry it again with heavier GSM towel), after that clean it again and remove any remaining glass residue with heavier GSM towel. If any lint is left on the glass use another dry glass towel to remove it.

If there is still any remaining dirt or grime on glass that isn't removed in the above steps then you can always take it one step further by using a razor blade scraper. Which after using that and then doing the above steps should leave your glass 100% clean and streakless.

To the O.P.

Have you tried your same technique but with a different towel? Same cleaner, same amount of cleaner, same wiping patterns, etc.

Just trying to help you eliminate what is the issue. If you replace one thing at a time and record your results you might find the issue is not the towels. Your problem might be the towels, but there are a lot of us that have no issues with them.

Good luck!

To the O.P.

Have you tried your same technique but with a different towel? Same cleaner, same amount of cleaner, same wiping patterns, etc.

^This. This is exactly the issue I had. I love the Adams glass cleaner, hate the new towels. Once you eliminate the problem, your glass cleaning issues will be over! :)

Sorry to bring this back up top but I've had all kinds of issues with the new towel. Finally got a streak free window but lint was all over. Washed the towels many times and clayed still no luck. Switched back to the old ones and all is good again!

Sorry to bring this back up top but I've had all kinds of issues with the new towel. Finally got a streak free window but lint was all over. Washed the towels many times and clayed still no luck. Switched back to the old ones and all is good again!

There's a guarantee on them, so give customer service a call.