Customer Service 866.965.0400

You Ask....Why Have We Removed Products from our Site?

Adam

Friends, here is my explanation of why we have dropped some products recently:  

• Customers hate back-orders. 
  • Adam hates back orders more!
  • Opening a box only to find an incomplete order makes our customers furious. 
  • Paying for shipping twice makes Adam's unable to make payroll.
  • When our suppliers cannot supply us with products that we have ordered, we are unhappy.
  • When suppliers flat-out lie, and say an order has shipped, when in fact is was never produced, now that makes me lose it.
  • We spend time telling customers, "I'm sorry we don't have your (hex grip applicator, brush, etc)" then promise a delivery date, only to not make good.
  • Now our salespeople turn into "I'm sooooo Sorry, people. 
  • Then our sales suffer, and customers get a voicemail, instead of a person, as all of our customer service reps are busy, "I'm Sorry-ing..."
  • Now we have more shipping expenses, and less revenue to pay bills, people, etc.
  • So, now what would you do in our shoes? 

Well, we decided that it was a time for change.

•  Hex Grip Applicators, supplied by our #1 worst performing vendor, when they informed us that instead of a crazy 8-week lead time, there is now a 16-20 week lead time, can go BYE BYE!  They couldn't fill our orders when there was an 8 week lead time, and now, 20?  That's insane, and they couldn't make enough to fill orders for half that long.
  • Boars hair brushes, maybe there is a boar season in full effect, maybe boars are entering extinction, or maybe only the Chinese can make them fast...whatever the reason, we can't get the USA supplier to turn orders around in less than 5 weeks, and then, we receive incomplete orders. 
  • Woolies, they are carried by every single company that carries car care products, and sold only in 3-packs.  They are also tough to get made quickly, and I wanted a better, more cost-effective solution for our customers.   Stay tuned for the Next Wheel Cleaning solution!
  • Detail seats, break all the time, and we are sick of sending replacement parts.
  • An unacceptable percentage of Flex Polishers overheat, burn up, and burn up plates at an alarming rate.  When a Chinese company purchased Flex, it was time to say goodbye.

It's hard to make these decisions.  I'm not a fan of having fewer products!  We would love to have everything for everyone!

Please consider the following scenario:

• You order $100 in car care supplies, our average order size.
  • We pay the shipping over $95, which averages $13/ order.
  • Your $100 order has a hard cost of $53.
  • Overhead, rent, payroll, healthcare, etc, cost 28%, or $28 of the order.
  • When we ship the extra item, we pay an additional $13 shipping charge (we can't charge the supplier, unfortunately.)
  • Our Customer, you get an order incomplete, you are less likely to order from us again, and may go elsewhere. What is that expense?  $10/ order not received complete?  At least, I bet even more!

So, let's do the math, and explain why we have discontinued products that we cannot get in stock;

$100 order, Minus  $13 - $53 -$28 - $13 - $10.

Now, we are sitting at a grand profit of negative $17... which is not enough to keep the lights on my friends.

Here is the crazy thing, we are still growing!  While these crazy figures used to add up, the more we grow, the worse the RED INK gets when a product is not in stock!

Help me get better friends.  I'm open to advice, input, therapy, and wine....lots and lots and lots and lots of wine!

At any rate, this is the story of why Adam's has removed some products from our product line.  Then End.

-Adam

Thanks for you expalnation Adam!  Very insiteful informaiton into the woes of running a business, especially one that is focused on selling American made products.  :thumbsup:

Can't argue with the math! 

I have a lot of product on hand so the discontinued products haven't effected my detailing regimen, but I think a lot of people want to buy Adam's products and were used to one-stop-shopping at Adam's and that has changed, even if its temporary - its changed. 

My only suggestion would be to perhaps post a chart that lists the suggested replacement product for everything that has been discontinued.  Even if you don't have a new product yet, list an ETA of when the replacement might be available or if you are no longer going to carry a product in that segment say that.

I hope you can find better suppliers too!  It sucks when you try to do the right thing, support the USA, and you get burned.

Edited by stirthepot

Thanks friends, and trust me, the long winter hurt us, but Thank God we are debt free, and have an AMAZING group of people on our Team.  We made it through, and are stronger than ever.  Trust me, these products will be replaced with better options. 

You have my word.

I have no doubt that you will be coming back with better, more user friendly, AMERICAN MADE products.  That's why I never worry when something is out of stock or dropped. I always know that something will be coming down the pipe that will be an improvement.

As for things like the detail seat, detail cart, buckets, or wheel woolies..........who cares?  I can buy that type of stuff anywhere.  I use Adam's Polishes. Your detail products are what I keep coming back to and remain loyal to.  

My advice is to drop the gimicky stuff and keep bringing us the best car care products out there.  

We're all behind you  110%!   And I'm paying for YOUR dinner at Carbones.

Rich

I've been in retail for a good portion of my life. I appreciate and commiserate with the problems you face. I also realize what a tremendous expense shipping is and how customers can get turned off when asked to pay these high costs. I know for my small part I like to stock up on my supplies at your various events like Carlisle and Thompsons. It may not seem like a lot but every little bit helps.

I also agree with Rich above about leaving the gimmicky stuff alone. That's not what I'm looking for when I buy Adams products.

Edited by CMDChase

Thanks Adam for sharing the "why" instead of leaving us all to guess and wonder.  It is frustrating from a customers standpoint when no explanation is given.  It is an uphill battle I'am sure trying to stick with American Made products.  It probably cuts your vendor choices down considerably.  

Love the info; it really helps to bring it home. It's a nice community feel this forum has and it's thanks to everyone here.

I also agree with Jim: my biggest problem is storage space in the garage and on my side of the closet for the chemicals. Good problem to have.

Adam, 

Thank you for the info. I actually appreciate that you have decided to stop carrying the items that are constantly on backorder as that makes it easier for us as consumers.

While I like many would prefer that Adam's continue to be my one stop shop I am pretty well stocked up until these changes come into effect. Let us not also forget the many awesome dealers that have products that the HQ may not. 

Change may worry some, but change can also bring even greater things to the table for us. There are many other detailing products made out there but I highly doubt any with the guts to do what's right for the customer and to continue to provide the same top notch service, products and experience that Adam's has.

Thanks friends, and trust me, the long winter hurt us, but Thank God we are debt free, and have an AMAZING group of people on our Team.  We made it through, and are stronger than ever.  Trust me, these products will be replaced with better options. 

You have my word.

Ask any small business owner in this country what it takes to remain debt free as a business, you won't find many that are.  Great job Adam on running your company in an amazing and all-too-rare fashion nowadays, I'm sure you sleep better at night because of it.

Too many companies grow too fast and outspend their sales, pretty soon that nice and comfortable life you live is turned upside down.  I know that won't happen here but it's just an example, Adam is a SMART head honcho and this company is only moving in a positive direction, you have my loyalty as a customer for years to come.

I have no doubt that you will be coming back with better, more user friendly, AMERICAN MADE products.  That's why I never worry when something is out of stock or dropped. I always know that something will be coming down the pipe that will be an improvement.

As for things like the detail seat, detail cart, buckets, or wheel woolies..........who cares?  I can buy that type of stuff anywhere.  I use Adam's Polishes. Your detail products are what I keep coming back to and remain loyal to.  

My advice is to drop the gimicky stuff and keep bringing us the best car care products out there.  

We're all behind you  110%!   And I'm paying for YOUR dinner at Carbones.

Rich

Adam, great hearing your honesty and integrity! Rich, your right on point. I spend MY hard earned money on Adams Polishes, not some brush or diddly applicator he may sell. I can go buy that stuff anywhere like you said. It just frustrates me to hear people on hear vent about how there so upset they cant get everything in the world from Adams like a one stop shop. Folks, this isn't Walmart. Its Adams POLISHES. My rides shine better than any other products out there could even think about.

Not a good sign for American manufacturers.  I do think the idea of promotional sales (like when you do get hex grips in stock) that a have a limited offering (while supplies last) would help manage supply just people have seasonal blends of waxes, etc,

I have not heard much about Flex returns but I know handling any return on a heavy $300+ product is not cheap even if small numbers given the profit in them.

Thanks for the update and insight Adam. As those of us who run businesses know, supplier issues can be extremely frustrating, especially when you have been given a promise and then make a promise to your valued customers based on what you were told. It is great to see you are finding solutions and going around that wall instead of beating your head against it (a saying you personally taught me).

Let me know if you need any local testing of any of the new products/tools. We are hitting 30-40 vehicles a week from $2000 junkers to $300,000 exotics currently. Oh and there is a bar upstairs in our building, so I am sure there is a beer or wine that will suit you. :-) Call me if you want to stop by. I'll leave the dome light on for you.

dipolley