Customer Service 866.965.0400

WHAT A JOKE!!!!

d232799

Question

So I got taken.  Watched the videos,  read the product descriptions,  then purchased like $200 plus in Adams Graphene stuff.  Now my brand new Audi Q5 looks like

s**t.  Windows are really bad,  steaks all over the hood, doors,  I mean WOW.   TAKE MY ADVICE,  if you have a nice car let the dealer detail it.  DON'T use this stuff.

21 answers to this question

What you are experiencing is high spots.  It is common especially when someone is new to applying coatings.  It takes a few iterations to get used to the flash times of a coating.  It is not the products fault.  It is an easy fix.  Polish, prep and re-coat.  

I have used both versions with no issues but I have been applying coatings for over a decade.  

On 8/30/2021 at 9:06 AM, d232799 said:

So I got taken.  Watched the videos,  read the product descriptions,  then purchased like $200 plus in Adams Graphene stuff.  Now my brand new Audi Q5 looks like

s**t.  Windows are really bad,  steaks all over the hood, doors,  I mean WOW.   TAKE MY ADVICE,  if you have a nice car let the dealer detail it.  DON'T use this stuff.

You didn't get "taken".  You just thought that it looked easy and jumped in with both feet without testing the water first.  I've been detailing for many years and still haven't gone past the spray Graphene coating.  It takes practice and experience.  But you definitely didn't get "taken".  

You did not get taken, you got an experience with products you simply don't know how to use properly. You need to learn how to use the products correctly. Watching a few videos on YouTube don't make you a detailer.

Hopefully you can fix your Q5 ( nice car by the way we have a S4 ) . If not look for a very good local detailer that can go over your car and fix it right. Make sure they are up to date and cutting edge. if your not willing to fix it yourself. You did make a nice entry level investment.

Dang you guys are scaring me. I just ordered a Graphene coating kit to do my new vehicle. Have to say the videos do not make it look all that difficult. Now I'm not sure I want to tackle that job. Did order the complete kit with the light.

Should add that I will be anal about prepping the car first.

Edited by Trap

1 hour ago, Trap said:

Dang you guys are scaring me. I just ordered a Graphene coating kit to do my new vehicle. Have to say the videos do not make it look all that difficult. Now I'm not sure I want to tackle that job. Did order the complete kit with the light.

Correct prep is 3/4 of the job if you want it done right and to get the best results. 

2 hours ago, Trap said:

Someone else's operator error should not scare you.  Take your time, follow the instructions, and you'll be fine.

55 minutes ago, Rich said:

Correct prep is 3/4 of the job if you want it done right and to get the best results. 

:iagree:

Edited by Norton

9 hours ago, Trap said:

As explained above, you can do this. Prep is everything, so you sound on track for that.

One very important update to the instructions: level any coating applied for the trim as you would on paint, but in about half the time, or you could get streaks that are very hard to remove. 

And keep in mind that this process is not a QUICK process.  You need a few days dedicated to it, especially since  you're new to it.  One day and done doesn't cut it.  But you also didn't post a thing after your original post, nor did  you post any pictures, so I'm beginning to think you're just here to try and stir things up.  

17 hours ago, Trap said:

Im half an idiot…i watched numerous videos and read up on Numerous ceramic coating topics. 
 The longest and toughest part is preparation.  If you are content with how your paint looks and opt not to do a correction then you save yourself

hours of work.  
  As far as ceramic application…I first applied Adams first edition CC.  I did it, it was def more difficult then Adams newer CC such as Graphene and Advanced versions, but doable! 
 And even my first application looked great. Maybe one high spot that no one could see. 
 More recently i applied the Advanced to 2 of my vehicles. Came out great. 
  Just take your time….dont rush. 
 If you are absolutely terrified, which you shouldnt, then try to ceramic spray coating.  Thats boarder line idiot proof…quickly wipe on and remove after a few mins! 
but i wouldndef do the full Advanced CC. Shines and repels like crazy

Time to answer the questions above;

ResJudicata-  You assume I did no prep,  I washed with foam cannon, then Iron remover,  then rinsed again.  Then Clayed the whole car top to bottom.  Then used Sonex

polish on all the painted surfaces.  Then sprayed down with Adams prep spray I think its called.  Then the next a.m.  I prep sprayed again before I started with

the Graghene doing sections like 3x3 at a time.  Up down back and forth.

RICH;  Yes I did jump in to this.  However I'm not 12 years old,  I've kept cars spotless for years and only went with the ADAM's products as it looked the most long lasting.

I watched many videos,  many not just from Adams site,  but from others.  I like the Ceramic tech,  but the videos make it appear to simply whip on,  wait for a flash and whip off.  This is not the case with this product,  I can assure you.

High spots are easy to remove,  but this product is not for the regular joes out there who now want to coat there car.  I'm now looking to redo the entire car again.

Any one wishing to do this,  BE AWARE-  YOUR NOT GOING TO GET THE RESULTS SHOWN. 

My advice is pay the dealer,  my truck was done with another product and looks amazing,  or get a detailer to coat your new car.

I'll try to paste a pic,  several didn't come out but both door pillars look like this.  Streaks all over doors,  hood,  glass.  Really looks horrible.  Sorry guys.

DSC05098.JPG

Respectfully, this can be done by individuals and the results from it can be just as shown in ads, as well as other venues. I've done it, and have seen it done. There is a process, though.

That said, it's unfortunate your results weren't what you'd hoped. Streaks can come from many factors, including temps, humidity, time to removal, towels used, etc. 

Which brings me to my questions:

- What were the weather conditions like temp and humidity? High or low for either?

- How did you determine when to remove the residue after application? 

- What type of towel(s) did you use to remove it, and what was your process?

- Did you use the UV light to ensure full, even coverage?

And is the type of streaking you're seeing? Just making sure I'm looking at the right thing.

DSC05098.JPG.069c804ce4182b79bd8d9b276ac739be.thumb.jpg.6bacfdb58ad0f6bc49454bb3907205d5.jpg

On 9/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, falcaineer said:

Respectfully, this can be done by individuals and the results from it can be just as shown in ads, as well as other venues. I've done it, and have seen it done. There is a process, though.

That said, it's unfortunate your results weren't what you'd hoped. Streaks can come from many factors, including temps, humidity, time to removal, towels used, etc. 

Which brings me to my questions:

- What were the weather conditions like temp and humidity? High or low for either?

- How did you determine when to remove the residue after application? 

- What type of towel(s) did you use to remove it, and what was your process?

- Did you use the UV light to ensure full, even coverage?

And is the type of streaking you're seeing? Just making sure I'm looking at the right thing.

DSC05098.JPG.069c804ce4182b79bd8d9b276ac739be.thumb.jpg.6bacfdb58ad0f6bc49454bb3907205d5.jpg

To me the red circle/streak looks like where the ceramic coating ends during an application.  Untreated/treated portion. At least it looks like that during all my applications, especially on darker cars.  
 I can tell you one thing is i wouldnt pay anyone $1k-$1500 this coating would cost if done properly.  It is really not a bad process    Try the spray Cc. Its even easier.  

5 hours ago, tlbullet said:

To me the red circle/streak looks like where the ceramic coating ends during an application.  Untreated/treated portion. At least it looks like that during all my applications, especially on darker cars.  

I was thinking the same thing, that's why I asked if the UV light was used.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:06 AM, d232799 said:

FOR STARTERS. Pictured is my FIRST TIME ceramic coating a vehicle.  My 2008 Harley Truck.

I'll take the other side of all the "helping" advice given to you by people way more professional in their craft than yourself. First and foremost, with only 3 messages on the forum, you come off pretty harsh ! Maybe you should find out how we can help instead of talking s**t. I am sure you are mad but TAKE MY ADVICE it can be taken care of.

Did you strip wash your vehicle, clay EVERYTHING including windows, 2 step paint correction? Ceramic prep wipe down should only take one wipe down if done correctly. You have to take your time doing all the prep work and even longer applying the coating. My guess, you worked to fast, just by looking at the high spot you left on your quarter panel, you should have caught that, fixed it, and then moved on. Bad towels, my guess, is the next issue. What are they and where are they from ? Streaks everywhere as mentioned? That means you worked to fast, or your towels (hoped you used suede towels) are not picking up all the ceramic, thats where streaks come from. Have you ever ceramic coated anything before? How many cars have you buffed with a high quality machine? Answer all the questions asked above, so we can help instead of coming off as a ....! Another hint, TAKE MY ADVICE, don't ever let a car dealer detail your car !! Seriously, that's where bad detailing advice starts.

Worse case, buff it all off and start from scratch.

IMG_5085.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG