Customer Service 866.965.0400

HGG - not for me

PT3

Question

I gave it a try today for the first time.

The problem seemed to be two-fold:

1. The sprayer didn't provide a 'fine mist'. So I was getting large drops.

2. The car drys too quickly...

So I end up spraying more than a 'fine mist' (as the instructions state) and then if it gets on a dry surface, it makes it a REAL PITA to get off the smudges of product remnants.

I DO like the process and the concept...and the gloss is quite nice.

But, it ended up taking more time than it was worth.

Did I do something incorrectly?

How hot and humid was it when you were washing?  Did you apply section by section or to the entire car?  If it's too hot try the dry method with a damp towel.  Seems like you used too much product which is why it was a pain to remove. 

Being in So Cal with water restrictions and the hot weather, I use the dry method. 

So I end up spraying more than a 'fine mist' (as the instructions state) and then if it gets on a dry surface, it makes it a REAL PITA to get off the smudges of product remnants.

Did you make sure your sprayer was on the right setting? And did you shake up your HGG?

Finally did you wash in the direct sun?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to figure out something for you.

When I first used it I ended up not doing a full pump of the sprayer. I started out doing a full pump and thought it was a PITA to remove, so I backed it off to a 1/2 pump and got much better results. Plus, as you work around the car, the towels starts to become saturated with product, requiring less to be sprayed on the panel.

Try changing to a different sprayer before giving up.  The red spray head from the Adam's dilution bottle allows for more adjustment and will allow for a better 'mist'.   I upgraded to a Tolco gold spray head on the advice of someone here, and it works fantastic!

Also, I use it wet as part of my Rinseless wash.  Wash panel, spray HGG on wet panel, 'level' with damp towel, do next panel, return to panel 1 and wipe with WW towel to remove.

Phil, if you're working in the sun, or on a car thats apt to dry, just integrate it into your Rinseless routine like Michael said, or do the dry application method.

As well, however much you applied to the surface last time, cut that amount in half for next time.  I noticed that everyone applies about double as much as they should their first time using it, and has an issue (I did as well the first time)

Let me know how those suggestions work.

post-13076-0-22972900-1440254329_thumb.jpg

post-13076-0-37088000-1440254831_thumb.jpg

2 bucket wash and H20 GG. One of my helpers. Love this stuff. It'll get me through until I can paint seal it before winter and the weather cooperates more. It's already about 90 degrees and humid at 10 this morning.

Btw. Not an ounce of Ava Anderson was used in this production. 100% Adams start to finish including wash media and double softs.

Edited by Mazzdog

I've told this story in other HGG threads but I think it bears repeating.  I tried HGG the first time with the wet method and didn't really love it.  Problem was operator error because I used way too much product.  Tried the dry method the next time and it worked much better for me because I sprayed a lot less product into the towel.

Going to try the wet method next time and will try to be real conscious about how much product I use.  It's amazing how small of an amount it takes to achieve great results.

Bottom line: don't count it out after one application.

I received a 4oz free sample of HGG and that little pump sprayer really does lay down a fine mist. I too didn't care for the inconsistent spray pattern,splatter and waste of product from the trigger spray. HGG is a solid product

It took several applications for me to apply HGG correctly. I did switch sprayers thinking that would make a fine mist. It helped a little but not much. What I do is wash the car and then move into the garage. I wet one towel to spread the product and have two other towels to dry. After doing several panels I rinse and wring out the wet towel. Also, I have a bottle of distilled water and spray each panel to make sure there is enough water on them. Usually by the time I get to the other side of the car some of the water has tried. I tried using only one towel to dry but have found that using two works better. A truck may take more. I may use three sprays of the HGG for each door and hood. The roof maybe four. A little goes a long way.  In addition, when I am done I soak the towels in a bucket of water for maybe 30 minutes. Then wring out and wash separately.

Watch the video again.  Watch Dylan's technique carefully as he moves his arm while he spraying to allow for a better spray pattern.  Did you wet one towel?  You should be using less product as you go since the wet towel will load with product. 

Don't give up on it after one use. 

Hey guys...

Couple things... Yeah, unfortunately I was washing in DIRECT sun as it was setting. Though, I will say...the sun was behind the trees when I was applying HGG. But I understand it had already heated up the paint surface before setting.

And I did check that the nozzle was on the wide/mist setting.

I'll take your guys ideas and give them a try.

Thanks a bunch all!!

I had this same problem. The second time I tried the dry method and made sure my towels had lots of water on them (just short of dripping). That fixed the problem and it was easy on, easy off. I bought another bottle after that. No one seems to mention this but the way it darkens the plastic trim is great and the beading on glass works as good if not better than the glass sealant.

Great input here!  This is a tricky product and we should have clearer instructions.  Direct sun makes it work poorly.  Sometimes, on darker finishes, it can look streaky if it dries too fast.

Also, the product separates, so here is the crazy process I use for making sure the solids are removed from the straw, so the sprayer works correctly:

1. Remove the sprayer from the bottle, and spray the product in the straw back into the bottle.
  2. Screw on the shipping cap.  
  3. Shake the H20 like crazy.   
  4. Remove cap, install sprayer.

After washing the vehicle, which is ideally COOL to the touch, and not in direct sunlight, spray two panels with the H20.   Don't just kind of spray it, give the sprayer a fast, hard tug so the product comes out of the bottle in a fine mist.  If you barely pull the trigger, the product won't atomize well, and will spit out.

Immediately hit those two panels with a damp Double Soft or Gray Edgeless towel.  Follow with a clean premium microfiber towel, polishing to perfection.

Under the following circumstances, the H20 is tricky to use:

1. Hot temps, direct sunlight.
  2. On a finish that hasn't been clayed and polished in a while.
  3. When the H20 was used in the past 3-4 weeks.

I've been using the H20 every third or fourth wash.  On my white Jeep, I rarely even wash it now.  Since using the H20, a pressure washer is just about all I need.  Nothing sticks to it.

That said, I totally see how some users have issues with this product, as what I've just spelled out isn't spelled out well enough in the video, or on the label.

Remember, our 110% unconditional satisfaction guarantee is there for things like this, and we are learning from you!   Thank you for your raw and excellent reviews, please keep them coming.

Guest washemup

I have used the wet method countless number of times, my gallon is only 1/4 full.

I stopped doing wash/clay/wax for customers, and instead do wash/clay/HGG now.

After washing with Adams Car Shampoo, then clay or speedy prep rinse car again, when rinsed well, I just knock off a little of the water that is on the vertical surface of the vehicle. DO NOT PERFORM A POOLING RINSE! The HGG needs water to be activated in order to work.

After rinsing (In the shade), apply 1 panel at a time, about 1 spray for 3 square feet. Shake the bottle well. After I've sprayed the panel (pull trigger fast and flip your wrist at the same time to mist across panel being worked), I then go to my wet towel bucket, which has two towels in it, both are plush microfiber (Double Soft).

Wring out one of the towels and spread the HGG which has now activated with the water. The plush microfiber will spread the HGG and absorb most all of the water left on the panel, you'll know it's done correctly when it "disappears" into the paint, put the "used" towel back in the water bucket underneath the "fresh" one. Then dry any remaining water with dry plush microfiber. Continue process over entire vehicle. Swapping the towels out also eliminates staining on them from HGG. Also keeps towels from getting clogged with product. Give the bottle a couple shakes each time you spray a new panel.

If you have any streaks after you've finished the vehicle, simple take one of the wet towels and lightly spread the un-activated HGG, dry with dry towel. 

If your working in a hot ambient temperature, and water is drying on the car too fast, use a spray bottle with water, to mist the panel first so the HGG can activate.

Streaks come from not enough water on the panel, as well as using too much HGG.

The results from HGG and the minimal amount of time required to apply are simply amazing. I haven't had a single customer who disliked the way the paint looked after I was finished.

Want to really get it done fast? Have a friend, spouse, or significant other use the dry towel while you spread with the wet.

Edited by washemup

I've not had any staining issues either, but I have also picked up some gray towels just for H20 now. I last applied H2O G&G on my wife's highlander almost 6 weeks ago? 2 washes since. Houston had almost 6 inches of rain in our area last weekend and I had to get out a few times more than I would have wanted to... here's her car after pulling in from the rain in the garage... 1st shot is the hood. 2nd shot is the drivers door.

post-13391-0-84411300-1446175589_thumb.jpg

post-13391-0-21097900-1446175613_thumb.jpg

Guest washemup

Joe,

I'm thinking I'll print your instructions and pin them up in the garage.

Glad to help if I can, it may seem like a lot to read, but once you do it a few times, it's very easy!

Now about your T-Bird............. OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a piece of art that car truly is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by washemup

Glad to help if I can, it may seem like a lot to read, but once you do it a few times, it's very easy!

Now about your T-Bird............. OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a piece of art that car truly is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the compliment!! It's still wearing it original 47 year old paint. It only gets the rinseless or waterless wash, so the HGG is on my next order list.

I do have a question, can HGG be used on a vinyl top? I usually treat it with VRT.